Show Me Tell Me
About the questions
The examiner will ask you one:
- ‘tell me’ question (where you explain how you’d carry out a safety task) at the start of your test, before you start driving
- ‘show me’ question (where you show how you’d carry out a safety task) while you’re driving
'Tell me' questions
1. Tell me how you’d check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
Brakes should not feel spongy or slack. Brakes should be tested as you set off. Vehicle should not pull to one side.
2. Tell me where you’d find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
Manufacturer’s guide, use a reliable pressure gauge, check and adjust pressures when tyres are cold, don’t forget spare tyre, remember to refit valve caps.
3. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. Note: Some restraints might not be adjustable.
4. Tell me how you’d check the tyres to ensure that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
No cuts and bulges, 1.6mm of tread depth across the central three-quarters of the breadth of the tyre, and around the entire outer circumference of the tyre.
5. Tell me how you’d check that the headlights and tail lights are working. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
Explain you’d operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary), then walk round vehicle (as this is a ‘tell me’ question, you don’t need to physically check the lights).
6. Tell me how you’d know if there was a problem with your anti-lock braking system.
Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti-lock braking system.
7. Tell me how you’d check the direction indicators are working. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
Explain you’d operate the switch (turn on ignition if necessary), and then walk round vehicle (as this is a ‘tell me’ question, you don’t need to physically check the lights).
8. Tell me how you’d check the brake lights are working on this car.
Explain you’d operate the brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows or doors, or ask someone to help.
9. Tell me how you’d check the power-assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
If the steering becomes heavy, the system may not be working properly. Before starting a journey, 2 simple checks can be made.
Gentle pressure on the steering wheel, maintained while the engine is started, should result in a slight but noticeable movement as the system begins to operate. Alternatively turning the steering wheel just after moving off will give an immediate indication that the power assistance is functioning.
10. Tell me how you’d switch on the rear fog light(s) and explain when you’d use it/them. You don’t need to exit the vehicle.
Operate switch (turn on dipped headlights and ignition if necessary). Check warning light is on. Explain use.
11. Tell me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you’d know the main beam is on.
Operate switch (with ignition or engine on if necessary), check with main beam warning light.
12. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient oil.
Identify dipstick/oil level indicator, describe check of oil level against the minimum and maximum markers.
13. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that the engine has sufficient engine coolant.
Identify high and low level markings on header tank where fitted or radiator filler cap, and describe how to top up to correct level.
14. Open the bonnet and tell me how you’d check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid.
Identify reservoir, check level against high and low markings.
'Show me' questions
1. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the rear windscreen?
2. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you wash and clean the front windscreen?
3. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d switch on your dipped headlights?
4. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d set the rear demister?
5. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d operate the horn?
6. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d demist the front windscreen?
7. When it’s safe to do so, can you show me how you’d open and close the side window?
What do our pupils say about us?
Thank you so much! You have no idea how happy I am. You have the patience of a saint, couldn’t have done it without you. Thank you!
Georgia // Passed December 2015
Quite simply, couldn’t have done it without you. Thankyou so much
Joanne // Passed December 2015
I still can't believe how easy you made parking for me, Cheers Rob
Jason // Passed November 2015
I would highly recommend ROB to anyone who wants to learn to drive. I was always really nervous about driving but ROB really helped boost my confidence and was extremely patient with me and always stayed calm. All of my lessons were very enjoyable as he is such a great driving instructor and a lovely guy. Thank-you so much for teaching me how to drive. I would definitely pass your number on to my friends. Thank-you again
Daisy Watson // Passed 5/1/15
I had previously spent three months with another driving school where I felt I was not progressing as quickly as I should’ve been and also the lesson prices were outrageous. I decided to change and was recommended to ROB @ LFE DRIVING-SCHOOL by quite a few friends and was not disappointed. I would like to take the opportunity to say thank you for the excellent and friendly driving lessons which I received and without which I would not have passed first time and would still be lacking in confidence. I would highly recommend ROB to all my family and friends due to the superb experience that I have had. Thank you once again!
Poppy Jones // Passed 10/12/14
ROB is a Great Driving Instructor. He is very friendly, professional, calm and would instill confidence in new and experienced drivers alike. He knows the area very well and is extremely good at moulding me to be a safe driver on the road and ensure you crack the driving test. I would strongly recommend LFE DRIVING SCHOOL if you are looking to take driving lessons in and around LEICESTER. Get in touch with Rob and drive safely for life.
Matty Owen // Passed 15/11/14
I highly recommend ROB to as he is a fantastic instructor. He is very patient, friendly and a pleasure to learn with. I always felt at ease and he encouraged and inspired me to carry on when I felt disheartened. He always found ways to keep my confidence up through driving. I can’t thank him enough for teaching me all I needed to do to pass my test. Thanks ROB I will be passing your number onto any family and friends wishing to learn to drive.
Tim Coles // Passed 29/8/14
Cheers for everything Rob, made it very enjoyable! Thanks for having the patience with me, I will fully recommend you to everyone about to start lessons! Thanks Rob
Oliver Kirk // Past Pupil
Just wanted to say a massive thank you to rob for all his help. Rob is fantastically patient, reassuring and a knowledgable instructor and I would recommend him to anyone.
Aron Simpson // Past Pupil
I chose LFE Driving School because my friends said it is a local school with an excellent reputation and I’m so glad I did! Thank you for getting me through the test first time and for making the process so enjoyable.
Fran Russen // Past Pupil
I had 10 refresher lessons with LFE driving school with Rob. Rob was proficient and professional and restored much of the confidence in me that I needed in order to drive again after five years absent. I would highly recommend LFE driving school and Rob as an instructor. Many thanks for all of your help.
Jenny Trent // Past Pupil
I’m so glad that I chose LFE Driving School. My instructor Rob made the lessons very interesting and enjoyable, and taught me everything I needed to know to pass easily. Thanks to him I passed first time. Rob made the lessons so enjoyable that I looked forward to each lesson. Thank you.
James Edwards // Past Pupil
Thank you for everything - especially putting up with my constant questions and lack of reverse parking ability! My Daughter pushed me to take driving lessons and keep it quite from her Dad!! I’m so happy I passed first time. You must be a brilliant teacher! Thanks Rob.
Annette // Past Pupil